Most of us have some stainless steel in our kitchens, whether it'a refrigerator, dishwasher, countertops, pots and pans, or another well-used tool. Stainless is durable and resistant to rust, but it shows lots of smudges — as my fridge can attest at this very moment.
Here are our best tips, guides, and reader intelligence for easily cleaning stainless steel — and all with basic cleaners you probably already have in your kitchen.
Choosing Stainless Steel
First of all, what are the advantages of stainless steel? When I renovated an old kitchen two years, I was reluctant to buy any stainless steel appliances. But stainless steel has become the default standard for American kitchens, and while I might have preferred white, I found stainless steel was actually cheaper in the models we looked at. So it's a material we all live with, in some form — from shelves to knives to appliances to cookware.
Here are some tips and advice on the pros and cons of stainless steel cookware, sinks, and countertops.
- Strong & Durable: Why We Use Stainless Steel in the Kitchen
- When Is It Best To Use Stainless Steel vs. Cast Iron vs. Non-Stick?
- A Guide to the Best Material for Pots and Pans: A Pros and Cons List
- All About: Stainless Steel Sinks
- All About: Stainless Steel Countertops
- Before & After: Installing DIY Stainless Steel Countertops
Our essential guides to cleaning stainless steel. No special cleaners needed — just soap, vinegar, and other basics.
- Appliances: How To Clean Stainless Steel Appliances with Vinegar and Oil
- Countertops: How To Clean Stainless Steel Countertops To a Shiny, Streak-Free Finish
- Cookware: How To Clean Stainless Steel Pots and Pans
- Badly Burned Cookware: How To Clean Tough Burnt Stains Off Stainless Cookware
Smart Cleaning Tips
Did you know that oil works so well to shine stainless steel?
- Cheap Trick: Clean Stainless Steel with a $2 Product
- Quick Tip: Removing Rust Spots from Stainless Steel
Our readers always have smart tips and good things to say. The comments on each of these questions are helpful!
- Will Salt Cause Stainless Steel To Pit?
- What's the Best Way to Clean My Stainless Steel Sink?
- Can I Use Oven Cleaner on Stainless Steel Pots and Pans?
- How Do I Clean Stubborn Stains From My Stainless Steel Pan?
Got any sharp cleaning tips or advice to share with us? Do you find yourself rubbing smudges off your stainless steel fridge all the time (I do!)?