This year, I discovered what I believe is my perfect kitchen, made the best ice cream I've ever made, and found an approachable, inspiring food blog that frequently makes me laugh out loud. Also: I had a baby, who pulled up for one of the first times by planting her hands on an open, 400-degree oven door. So, you know, you win some you lose some. Let's take a look at the good stuff!
My Favorite Posts from The Kitchn
- Could This Be Your Perfect Kitchen?. The day I posted this, my mom called to say, "You know you can't have that kitchen in a New York City apartment." And she's mostly right. But that's the point of inspirational photos; you take certain elements and find a way to make them yours. I'm still contemplating navy cabinets.
- How to Grill Pizza. I was so intimidated by grilled pizza—for no reason. I made several, with delicious success, one night this summer (FYI yellow squash, goat cheese, and caramelized onion was my favorite).
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Breakfast Bars. I'm a Southerner, and yet I rarely break out the butter-laden, Junior League-ish recipes I grew up with on the site. That's why I'm loving our new Atlanta contributor Nealey Dozier. Her recipes make me drool right on the keyboard.
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Banana Chunks. My favorite recipe I created this year.
- Smoked Turkey & Dinner for 12: Our Thanksgiving Report. I read this and immediately told Faith and Emma that I'm coming to Columbus next year. This is just an exquisite spread and such a gift to their guests.
My Favorite Posts from Around the Web
- Letter of Agreement, from Dinner: A Love Story. Jenny Rosenstrach's recipes are easy and awesome (I've made several), but her smart, witty writing is why I read the site. Her equally funny husband Andy chimes in on this post, which had me in tears.
- Fridays with Dash: Batman Loves Burrata, from Dash and Bella. Phyllis Grant's photos are spectacular, and I love that she trusts her 3-year-old with a knife. I hope I involve my children this much in the kitchen someday.
- Dinner Party Beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, from Oh Happy Day. This isn't the first time I've wished I was one of Jordan Ferney's lucky friends (this is).
- A Short Little Post, from Fly Through Our Window. Ok, this one post is not fully representative of this site, which I love and which is full of sweet family stories, amazing photos, and impressive craft projects. But I NEED the juicer pictured here, and whoever can tell me where to find it will get a hand-written thank-you note.
- Kate and Andy Spade's House, at The Selby. This house tour made the blog rounds in a major way last month, but I love every inch of it. The kitchen is bright, lived in, and eclectic—a perfect pre-war NYC kitchen.
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)