This year, I discovered what I believe is my perfect kitchen, made the best ice cream I've ever made, and found an approachable, inspiring food blog that frequently makes me laugh out loud. Also: I had a baby, who pulled up for one of the first times by planting her hands on an open, 400-degree oven door. So, you know, you win some you lose some. Let's take a look at the good stuff!
My Favorite Posts from The Kitchn
- Could This Be Your Perfect Kitchen?. The day I posted this, my mom called to say, "You know you can't have that kitchen in a New York City apartment." And she's mostly right. But that's the point of inspirational photos; you take certain elements and find a way to make them yours. I'm still contemplating navy cabinets.
- How to Grill Pizza. I was so intimidated by grilled pizza—for no reason. I made several, with delicious success, one night this summer (FYI yellow squash, goat cheese, and caramelized onion was my favorite).
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Breakfast Bars. I'm a Southerner, and yet I rarely break out the butter-laden, Junior League-ish recipes I grew up with on the site. That's why I'm loving our new Atlanta contributor Nealey Dozier. Her recipes make me drool right on the keyboard.
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Banana Chunks. My favorite recipe I created this year.
- Smoked Turkey & Dinner for 12: Our Thanksgiving Report. I read this and immediately told Faith and Emma that I'm coming to Columbus next year. This is just an exquisite spread and such a gift to their guests.
My Favorite Posts from Around the Web
- Letter of Agreement, from Dinner: A Love Story. Jenny Rosenstrach's recipes are easy and awesome (I've made several), but her smart, witty writing is why I read the site. Her equally funny husband Andy chimes in on this post, which had me in tears.
- Fridays with Dash: Batman Loves Burrata, from Dash and Bella. Phyllis Grant's photos are spectacular, and I love that she trusts her 3-year-old with a knife. I hope I involve my children this much in the kitchen someday.
- Dinner Party Beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, from Oh Happy Day. This isn't the first time I've wished I was one of Jordan Ferney's lucky friends (this is).
- A Short Little Post, from Fly Through Our Window. Ok, this one post is not fully representative of this site, which I love and which is full of sweet family stories, amazing photos, and impressive craft projects. But I NEED the juicer pictured here, and whoever can tell me where to find it will get a hand-written thank-you note.
- Kate and Andy Spade's House, at The Selby. This house tour made the blog rounds in a major way last month, but I love every inch of it. The kitchen is bright, lived in, and eclectic—a perfect pre-war NYC kitchen.
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn's end-of-year roundup! We are rounding up some of our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the last year, including lots of recipes. We are also shaking out our reader mailbag, and giving you a few more great guest posts from our friends.
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)