Want to eat something fresher and lighter than prime rib and holiday cookies this week? Here's a menu for you — a fast yet deliciously fresh assembly of Mexican sprout slaw, the perfect guacamole, and colorful shrimp tacos.
What You Need
This looks almost too summery for winter, doesn't it? But shrimp is widely available, and if you get the smaller sizes of frozen shrimp it can be fairly economical. So pick up a bag, along with some corn tortillas, lime, cilantro, and cotija cheese for serving. Maybe some salsa and corn chips too. All you're going to do is roast the shrimp and toss them into a tortilla for munching.
Serve alongside a big bowl of guacamole made with fresh avocados, red onion, jalapeño, and cilantro. For the crunchy slaw you'll want some fresh sprouts (such as sunflower, corn, alfalfa, broccoli, radish, bean, pumpkin), purple cabbage, and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). To dress the salad, use olive oil or pumpkin seed oil, and more lime juice.
This meal can come together very quickly. Here's how I would do it:
- Heat the oven.
- Make the slaw and dress it.
- Make the guacamole and set it out with chips.
- Roast the shrimp.
- While the shrimp is roasting, heat the corn tortillas in a pan until they are a little crisp around the edges.
- Take the shrimp out of the oven and set up the table with bowls of cilantro, salsa, guacamole, and chips.
- Make your tacos and enjoy!
What's on your meal plan tonight?
(Image credits: The Kitchn; Sara Kate Gillingham)