When you talk about vegetarians and grilling, too often tofu dogs or packaged veggie burgers get brought into the discussion. But in reality, there are so many delicious (and unpackaged) recipes that give vegetarians a serious reason to dust off the barbeque this season.
Whenever there are dietary limits or restrictions, I think it becomes easier to get into habits or ruts with your eating. You find something that works within the perimeters of that restriction that you like and it's easy to run with it. But this doesn't need to be the case with vegetarians and outdoor grilling recipes. There are ideas that span from grilled eggplant parmigiana to chickpea burgers and beyond. Most tastes and palettes will be catered to and satiated here and all eaters, vegetarian or not, will be thankful for the excuse to eat a slow meal outdoors.
Try a Recipe:
• Vegetarian Grilled Zucchini Croque Mademoiselle - Serious Eats (pictured above)
• Thai Tofu on Lemongrass Skewers - Coconut & Lime
• Sriracha Grilled Tofu - Bon Appetit
• Grilled Corn Salad with Black Beans and Rice - Eating Well
• Grilled Eggplant Parmigiana - Gourmet
• Zucchini Ribbons and Peaches with Macadamia Cream - Food and Wine
• Chickpea Burgers - Martha Stewart
• Grilled California Pizzas - Ezra Pound Cake
• Ratatouille - New York Times
• Grilled Eggplant, Halloumi and Pesto Burgers - Veggie Belly
• Tomatoes Stuffed with Cannellini and Couscous - Rodale