We didn't get to indulge in the first carrots of the summer last week because we were traveling. So this week, we're on it! And how about that pint of tomatoes in the top right corner? They're just about as sweet as can be!
This Week's CSA Box
- 1 bunch carrots
- 3 beets
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 pint tomatoes
- 4 zucchini
- 1 cabbage
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 pound cucumbers
- Red onions
- 12 ounces chard
What I'll Do With It
Here are a few inspirations for the week:
- Carrots: The options for how to consume this beta-carotene-filled veggie are endless. Need inspiration? Here's a great place to start: Five Ways to Eat Carrots.
- Beets: Have you ever heard of grilling beets? I hadn't, but I'd love to give it a try since the weather has been so accommodating! Or maybe this week we'll keep it simple and try one of these raw beet salads?
- Kale: Okay, no more kale and eggs for me this week! I vow to try this spring greens pesto instead. And do you think my toddler will actually taste it? I'll try and report back next week!
- Tomatoes: There's no way our tomatoes will make it into any dish this week; they're just too delicious to cook! Yesterday I actually found myself standing at the kitchen sink at 7:30 am washing and eating tomatoes. And this was pre-coffee! Needless to say they never made it into the scrambled eggs I'd started out to make; I opted for hard-boiled ones instead. But if you need a little direction, this a great post: 6 Tasty Dinners Featuring a Pint of Cherry Tomatoes.
- Zucchini: Okay, this dish is hands-down the home run of the week. There's no question. I made an entire recipe of zucchini butter yesterday, and today…there's none left. Sure, we had a little help from friends, but this is absolutely a new favorite recipe!
- Cabbage: Did I mention I'm not excited about having cabbage this week? I think I'm missing the beautiful lettuces from earlier in the summer! If you're in my boat, here are 10 Recipes That Remind Us Why Cabbage Is Awesome.
- Garlic: Does garlic always stick to your knife when mincing it? The secret to preventing this problem can be found here, in this post about how to mince garlic.
- Cucumbers: We've been on a sesame cucumber salad kick the past few weeks! But I'm thinking of switching it up for spiced cucumber sticks with chat masala instead? It might be a great way to use up our red onions, as well.
- Chard: We've tried a number of different chard soups since our CSA began 6 weeks ago. They've all been awesome, especially when served chilled, but we need a break. I may actually freeze and store the supply to use in smoothies and other recipes down the road.
What did you receive in your CSA box this week?
(Image credits: Landis Carey)