This lovely kitchen is from a home in Colorado, where the owner knew she didn't want an all-white kitchen. So there are serious splashes of color in the island and wallpaper backsplash. The wallpaper is actually custom and hand-painted (hello, spendy!!) and the designer protected the paper with a ProSeal coating. Supposedly this protects the paper and makes it completely impermeable to stains and splashes — almost as good as a tile backsplash.
I'm not familiar with this coating, but if it's as good as it sounds, it does make wallpaper a slightly more practical option. Heck, it could even be cheaper than tile or stone.
→ More about the kitchen pictured above: "Home of the Year" Kitchen at Houzz
Do you have wallpaper in your kitchen? Or does the very thought make your skin crawl?
More Wallpaper in the Kitchen
• 10 Examples of Wallpaper in the Kitchen: Just a Splash, Used Well
• Lots (!) More Wallpaper in Kitchens
• Look! Wallpaper in the Kitchen
• Before & After: Wallpapered Kitchen Niche
• Glow In The Dark Kitchen Wallpaper
• Design Inspiration: Josef Frank Wallpaper in the Kitchen
• Pretty Kitchen Idea: Hang Wallpaper In the Wasted Space Above Kitchen Cabinets