Tortas are typically made on an oblong sandwich roll called a bolillo or a more round, soft bun called a telera. If you have a Mexican bakery nearby, you can seek out these rolls, or just look for any type of sandwich roll that is crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, like an Italian roll.
Try one of the recipes below, or experiment with your own combination, layering your favorite stewed or grilled meats, vegetables, beans, cheese and salsa, and either serving it as is or grilling it with a panini press for an extra-special sandwich.
Torta Recipes to Try
• Midnight Tortas at Food & Wine (pictured)
• Chile and Lime Steak Tortas at Sunset
• Grilled Chicken and Poblano Tortas at the San Francisco Chronicle
• Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tortas at Food & Wine
• Crusty Tortas with Black Bean and Chorizo at Serious Eats
• Tuna Tortas with Pico de Gallo at Sunset
Do you have a favorite torta combination?
(Image: Anna Williams/Food & Wine)