Avocados: One person in our household loves avocado smoothies, while the other is not a fan, but it's definitely worth trying if you haven't before.
• Recipe inspiration: Avocado Smoothie with Soy Milk, from Andrea Meyers
Carrots: We can't make carrot juice with our regular blender, but we've found that a finely grated carrot works well in smoothies.
• Recipe inspiration: Carrot Smoothie, from Mr Breakfast
Citrus: Oranges, tangerines, and other citrus fruits are abundant this time of year, and we're using them more than berries now. We like mixing fresh juice and whole segments with yogurt, cardamom, and honey.
• Recipe inspiration: The Ultimate Citrus Smoothie, from Sunset
Ginger: Although ginger is technically not a winter crop, it adds a nice brightness to smoothies. We use about one teaspoon of freshly grated ginger per serving.
• Recipe inspiration: Orange, Fig and Ginger Smoothie, from Green Gourmet Giraffe
Leafy Greens: Trust us, a handful of kale, spinach, or chard is much better than it sounds, and of course it's super healthy. Apple juice or lemonade are good pairings.
• Recipe inspiration: Green Smoothies, from A Veggie Venture