I caught a mention of something on Twitter a few weeks ago: a new cookbook called Winter Cocktails. My ears perked up. Winter cocktails, hey? I needed this book in my life, and now that I have it, I am set for wintertime. Maria del Mar Sacasa has written a beautiful, luscious book full of the cocktails that belong to the colder months. Yesterday we showed you the hot cranberry punch she created for our Thanksgiving dinner, and today, we're giving you a little peek inside her book.
• Who wrote it: Maria del Mar Sacasa (Photos by Tara Striano)
• Who published it: Quirk Books
• Number of recipes: Over 100, if you count recipe variations.
• Recipes for right now: English Christmas Punch, White Sangria, Nutella Melt, Persian Warmer, Golden Hog, Rose-Infused Gin or Vodka, Cheater Doughnuts, Cheese-Crusted Olives.
• Other highlights: This book brings together the best of hot drinks (chai, Nutella hot chocolate) and witches them into steaming cocktails for a winter occasion. If you want a one-book guide to eggnog, hot toddies, affogato — alcoholic or not — then this is it. Mulled wine, that crowd favorite, shows up too, of course.
But the drinks aren't all hot; Maria also deals in chilled festive drinks like sangria, punch, and Brandy Alexander. The hot ones are my favorites, though; how can you say no to something called Nutella Melt?
And the recipes don't stop with the sippers; there's a small, well-curated selection of infused liquors, and party snacks to go along with the drinks.
The book is elegantly designed, with a matte uncoated paper and a ribbon bookmark. It has a sturdy, unjacketed cover, and it's large enough to stay open on the countertop but not too big to prop up behind a bowl. The photos are gorgeous, with plenty of shots of the drinks in context with ingredients. There's a short introductory section, too, demonstrating some of the techniques in the book.
• Who would enjoy this book? Cocktail lovers and anyone planning on throwing a cocktail party this winter. The drinks are frequently suited to a crowd, with punches, sangrias, and nogs featuring prominently; and the snacks hit the sweet spot of fancy comfort food very well (Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches and homemade marshmallows, oh yes).
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Winter Cocktails by Maria del Mar Sacasa
• Visit the author's website: Maria del Mar Sacasa
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Image credits: Faith Durand)