Pork chops are one of the tried-and-true weeknight dinners we turn to again and again. Who can resist a plate of lean, juicy meat that's reliable, quick, and easy to cook? But that's just one side of pork chops. For a more luxurious dinner where pork chops are meant to really shine, you've got to cook them like a prized steak.
Treating Pork Chops Like Steak Adds Some Luxury
Pork chops can be luxurious — yes, the very same ones that have a regular place in your weeknight dinner rotation. It all comes down to how you handle and cook them. When cooked like a steak, pork chops develop a thick crust that gives way to a tender and juicy interior just like a great steak.
How to Cook Pork Chops Like Steak
- Prep the chilled pork chops just as you would a steak. Let them rest on a paper towel-lined plate at room temperature for 30 minutes, then pat completely dry again prior to seasoning liberally with salt.
- Add the pork to a screaming-hot, oiled skillet. This is the step that will give the chops a crispy seared crust over the top and bottom, and charred edges.
- Transfer the skillet to a 400°F oven for 6 to 10 minutes to allow the center meat to cook through, but not for too long — you want juicy, not dry, meat.
- The last minute of cooking, add in a knob of butter, a smashed clove of garlic, and a few sprigs of time.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and baste with the buttery, herby juices, or whip up a delicious pan sauce.
- Cut and serve immediately!