I don't know if you are aware that doughnuts are actually secret sugary geniuses. Eggs, oatmeal, doughnuts –– all are totally acceptable form of breakfast for many people. But don't be fooled! The doughnut you're eating is really just a sneakier form of cake, filled with sugar and covered with even more sugar (glaze + frosting + sprinkles).
Can you imagine ordering a slice of cake for breakfast? The stares! The horror! It's totally not socially acceptable. If you order a couple doughnuts, on the other hand, nobody would think twice.
This is not to say, of course, that doughnuts aren't the best thing ever. In fact, if anything, their ability to defy our social breakfast barriers makes them even tastier. It's just important to remember, however, that eating a slice of cake before noon really isn't much worse.
Cake or Doughnuts? Pick Your Poison.
- Birthday Cake Recipe: Funfetti Cake From Scratch
- Essential Recipe: Chocolate Layer Cake
- Recipe: Caramel Banana Cake
- Recipe: Sour Cream & Onion Doughnuts
- Cheater Recipe: Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts
- Recipe: Baked Doughnuts with Vanilla and Chocolate Glaze
And while you're at it, you may as well make your own sprinkles...