Jennie Cook has been sharing her passion for good food and community for decades in Los Angeles, where she's known as a generous and talented chef, caterer, and local food activist. Now Jennie's favorite recipes and entertaining wisdom are available to all with the publication of her inclusive and colorful new cookbook, Who Wants Seconds? Sociable Suppers for Vegans, Omnivores & Everyone in Between.
• Who wrote it: Jennie Cook
• Who published it: Prospect Park Books
• Number of recipes: about 100
• Recipes for right now: Slow Roasted Baked Beans, Sunshine Ginger Soup, Basque Red Pepper Chicken, Vegan Caesar with Nu Cheeze and Handmade Croutons, Sweet Potato Lasagna, Vegan Coconut Almond Whoopie Pies
• Other highlights: As someone who knows Jennie Cook in person, I was delighted to find that Who Wants Seconds? really captures her warm spirit (and artwork!). Jennie is a pro, but she's also down-to-earth, so everyone can truly benefit from her conversational advice on topics like throwing dinner parties, planning menus, cooking on vacation, and feeding the family. When it comes to sustainable eating, she emphasizes mindfulness and moderation.
Recipes center on classic American cooking, with dishes inspired by Jennie's Pennsylvania Dutch childhood, her work in California, travel to Spain, and experience catering for omnivore and vegan crowds. Appetizer, soup, salad, main dish, dessert, and drink recipes are all excellent for sharing, whether you're cooking for your family, a casual gathering, or a large dinner party. I think this would be a fantastic book for those who tend to feel intimidated by entertaining, as it focuses on what's really important: sharing, community, and love — plus recipes that you know have been well tested in the field!
• Who would enjoy this book? omnivores, vegetarians, vegans, people who like to entertain and share food, parents, cooks who care about where their food comes from
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Who Wants Seconds? Sociable Suppers for Vegans, Omnivores & Everyone in Between by Jennie Cook
• Visit the author's website: Jennie Cook
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Ho)