Last week it was announced that Mary Berry is quitting The Great British Bake Off in light of the switch from BBC to Channel 4. Berry was known for her firm yet kind demeanor with the contestants, and there will definitely be a gap on the next season of the show in her absence. Who could ever replace her? Let's try to figure that out ahead of time.
Here are eight people I think could potentially take over for Mary Berry. Most of these people are British, and none of them are too mean (I'm looking at you, Gordon Ramsay). Vote now in our poll and see who is in the lead!
- Jamie Oliver: Oliver is a famous chef and restaurateur from England. He has many cookbooks, has done a bunch of TV, and he seems like a pretty nice guy.
- Nadiya Hussain: Hussain recently won season three of The Great British Bake Off. She's already been confirmed as a judge for the "junior" version of the show, so it might make a lot of sense for her to swoop in for Berry.
- Alexander Weiss: Weiss won the first American season of Masterchef Junior. He's obviously super talented, and has been making a name for himself since his win. He's going places! Plus, I think he'd make a pretty cute judge.
- Nigella Lawson: We're pretty big fans of Lawson on Kitchn. She's British, smart, and has a ton of fun in the kitchen. She wouldn't make you feel bad for messing something up while you were cooking.
- Gwyneth Paltrow: Now that Paltrow seems to be in the process of consciously uncoupling from Goop, she might be in the market for a new job. I mean, can you imagine what it would be like if she and Paul Hollywood were judges together?
- Maggie Smith: Just like Paltrow, now that Downton Abbey and Harry Potter are over, Smith might have some more time to dedicate to a new project. She seems like she would be stern, but kind — just like Mary Berry.
- Benedict Cumberbatch: Did you see Cumberbatch play Sherlock Holmes? Did you see it? He's perfect. He could basically sub in for any of the judges and I would be happy.
- Some Random Grandma: Marry Berry was just the kindest, most thoughtful judge on a food show you could imagine. Don't you think some random grandma who loves to cook could also just fill this position?