Garden Month is swinging along, and we're watching our little seed pellets carefully for the first sign of a sprout. Gardening, especially starting seeds, brings out the most childlike in most of us; no matter how many times you've seen it, it's still magic to see those first green shoots.
In that spirit, here are a few small plants that reinforce and play up that sense of childlike fun in the garden. These are also great if you really, truly have no space or time to keep a garden this spring. Can you find room for just one little Eggling?
• Basil Eggling, $10 at Urban Outfitters. Crack the egg open on one end, plant seeds, then set in the tray, water, and watch it grow. Plants grow for up to five months and can be easily replanted into a pot or a garden.
• The Heart Garden - Thyme, $10 at Wishing Fish. Plant and grow a little heart filled with thyme. Easy, sweet, and actually very good for cooking. Hard to kill, too.
• Blooming Heart Bean Plant, $13 at Perpetual Kid. The bean actually says "I love you." Awww. We wonder if this still produces a good pot of runner beans?
• Grow Your Own Marinara, $24 at Uncommon Goods. No mess! Grow oregano, basil and tomatoes right in the bags.
• Micro Terrarium - Herbs, $2.99 at Urban Outfitters. For the truly space-challenged....
• Chia Herb Garden
• Herb Growing Tater Pots
• Plant Me Pets, $14.99 at Perpetual Kid. These seem slightly too strange for us. Plant one of these little pets upside down with their feet sticking up and eventually you'll get a tomato, melon, or pumpkin plant. Maybe fun for kids?
Related: Self-Watering Pots for Your Herbs