This goes beyond open storage. We're talking completely cabinet-less walls here, with room for art instead of canned goods. What do you think? Modern and clean or too un-kitchen-like?
Of course, you need enough storage elsewhere to keep your walls this bare. There need to be a lot of bottom cabinets or a butler's pantry, for heaven's sake. We're guessing not many of our Small, Cool contestants have the luxury of leaving their walls naked.
On the other hand, all of these spaces feel so peaceful. We'd love to look up from our chopping and see a great piece of art. And we've bumped our heads so many times on open cabinet doors that it would feel nice to move around a room with so much open, blank space.
Even the open shelves in the last photo look more like a staging area for objets d'art than for dishes.
• 1. Completely bare and stark white, from Living, Etc.
• 2. Leaning modern art, from Dwell. (We suspect there may be cabinets to the left, but we still love this big, open wall.)
• 3. Colorful art in a row, from Southern Living.
• 4. Cool concrete, from Canadian House & Home.
• 5. Meticulously styled shelves, from Coastal Living.
Which one is your favorite?
(Images: Jake Curtis/Living, Etc.; Roger D'Souza/Dwell; Tria Giovan/Southern Living; Ted Yarwood/Canadian House & Home; Roger Davies/Coastal Living)