Crisp and a touch lemony, fizzy with bubbles and chilled to ice-cold: this is the kind of beer that hits the spot after a day spent romping in the garden or lounging on the porch. When the summer's seasonal beers start showing up in stores, that's when I know that summer has really started. Here are five to look out for as we head into the long days of sun and heat — what's your favorite?
With summer beers, the aim is a lighter, easy-sipping beer with lower hops and lower alcohol. They're often made with a touch of wheat to give the beer a softer texture and a crisp, fruity flavor — but not necessarily. This is something to quench the thirst and keep you mellow on a long afternoon.
These summer beers are also fantastic with food. Anything coming off the grill or picked from the garden is going to go well with your favorite summer beer.
5 Summer Beers to Try
- Narragansett's Summer Ale (4.2% ABV) - Tropical fruit flavors with dry cracker-like malts.
- Bitter Brewer from Surly Brewing Co. (4.1% ABV) - Lightly toasted malts with orange and citrus zest flavors
- Sam Adams Summer Ale (5.3% ABV) - Crisp and a little spicy from the addition of grains of paradise.
- Twilight Summer Ale from Deschute's Brewery (5% ABV) - Soft and fruity with intriguing fresh orange flavors.
- Hop Sun from Southern Tier Brewing Company (5.1% ABV) - Sweet, yet still crisp, with lots of citrusy fresh hop aromas and flavors.
What summer beer do you love the most?
(Image: Emma Christensen)