Pieces like this often speak more to the kind of cook that you are; everyone has their favorite, most-used tools, which may not be universal choices for every cook. There are good pointers and tips in here, though, especially for those of you just setting up a kitchen.
And we can definitely agree with them on this pointer: never skimp on good coffee!
Take a look through the piece and then tell us - what did you agree with, what did you disagree with? What would you add? (We, for instance, would add an inexpensive oven thermometer and a note to never skimp on your flour. Buy the good stuff; it's not much more expensive.) We also have links to more information about some of their recommended picks below.
• Read the article: Kitchen essentials, and items you can pass by
Good kitchen equipment
• How To Use a Waiter's Key Corkscrew
• Kitchen Tools: Instant-Read Thermometer
• Good Product: All-Clad Petite Roti Pan
• Dutch Oven Roundup
• Holiday Gift Guide: Knives!
• Sources: Vanilla Beans in Bulk
• Good Product? Spanish Saffron from Trader Joe's
• How To Choose Good Cheap Wine from the Big Brands: Cabernet Sauvignon
• Good Product: Krups Fast Touch Coffee/Spice Grinder
(Images: LA Times)