Hey, it's November already! It's almost winter, and our kitchen is becoming more and more attractive as an oasis of warmth in shortening days and darker evenings. We've been cooking like mad this weekend - a rich beef ragú and peanut butter caramel cookie bars for a dinner with friends, a giant pot of onion soup for lunches, mashed acorn squash with goat cheese, spicy braised green beans, and brown soda bread.
Here are a few more good things to cook from The Kitchn's past week. And tell us - how are you warming your home through your kitchen this weekend?
A few ideas for weekend eating and drinking
• Bake your best pie and share it with us all!
• What are you cooking Tuesday night? Try our election night menu ideas.
• Looking for Sunday brunch ideas? How about baked eggs and savory oatmeal with grapes and Gorgonzola.
• Still cleaning your teeth after Halloween? Here's a recipe for DIY toothpaste.
• When was the last time you had your knives sharpened?
• How about some hot soup! Here's how to make vegetable stock, Wisconsin beer cheese soup, Colombian chicken and potato soup, and pumpkin tortilla soup.
• You can warm up with a good drink too; try Russian River Valley wine and a New York city cocktail.
• Paprika - what's the difference between smoked, hot, and sweet?
• Use your slow cooker for nearly any recipe. Here's how.
• Fall squash - it's not just for pie. Two recipes for squash and pumpkin jam - one with milk and one without.
• Spice up your dinner easily and cheaply: baharat spice mix recipe and ideas for flavored salts.
What are you cooking this weekend?