We're working on oven-roasted pork belly with fennel, a strawberry tart, and potato salad with basil from the garden. What are you cooking this weekend? Are you eating outside, or fixing up your little slice of the outdoors for grilling, cooking, or meals with friends? If so, send us some photos! We'll send you something nice in return to say thank you.
And meanwhile, here are a few good ideas for weekend eating, drinking, and cooking from The Kitchn's past week.
By the way, the delicious mess of a cake pictured above is a recent adaptation of the easiest cake ever, a mix of blueberries and strawberries with a quick batter on top. It's extremely easy and quick, and it's a splendid showcase for early summer fruit, too.
Here are a few more things from The Kitchn's past week that you might like to try this weekend!
• We kicked off My Great Outdoors 2009! We'd love to see a few photos of you grilling, gardening for food, or eating outdoors. Maybe you threw a special meal on the back porch? Maybe you've set up your balcony for perfect weekend breakfasts? Or perhaps you have a really killer grill setup. Show us! We'll send you a couple small gifts to say thank you for sharing. We really want to be inspired by our readers' good ideas. Enter here: My Great Outdoors.
• Garden 2009: what are you growing this summer?
• Would you like a big pantry like this one?
• A couple good things from IKEA: inexpensive yet cute glass bottles, and an animal cookie cutter set that includes a squirrel, snail, hedgehog, and fox.
• 10 things to do with leftover Bloody Mary mix.
• Tender baked goods: jam crostata, an award-winning pie, brown sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies, and bacon brownies.
• One more thing to grill: peeled garlic. Oh, and peaches too.
• A market report from lush, green Cornwall.
• Picnic gear: funky botanical plates for outdoor eating, a cooler for your car, and a really gorgeous market bag.
• Good ideas for leftover rice, including a Filipino dish with eggs.
• All the cheese reviews and tips you'll need, at least for this weekend's cheese plates.
• Perfectly refreshing drinks: rhubarb soda and orange spritzer.
• Summer vegetables are here! Try cucumber salad, vegetarian skewers, and asparagus with pecorino.
• A dish rack for small kitchens.
Have a wonderful weekend!
(Image: Faith Durand)