What are you cooking this weekend? We would like to propose pies and dumplings. Why? Well, first of all, we just discovered that today is National Pie Day! So baking a pie (maybe from our huge archive of pie recipes?) would be a good idea. And then, Chinese New Year is coming up. Dumplings all round! Here are links to more recipes and good ideas for weekend eating and drinking from the last week at The Kitchn.
• The Inauguration was very exciting, and it produced a lot of good food, too. Try the inauguration cocktail, the inaugural luncheon recipes, and recipes from past White House cooks.
• Trapdoors and folding furniture: there was some unusual kitchen design going on this week!
• Have you ever gotten stuck with Amish friendship bread?
• Beans, beans, and more beans: giant chipotle bean casserole, beans with tuna, frozen beans, and convenient beans in the slow cooker.
• Oranges are in season! Try them roasted with herbs or jellied for fun.
• It's Pie Day! Try baking a pie from our huge archive of pie recipes.
• We have to try this spiked, milky cocktail. It looks so warming.
• Great kitchen tours and spotlights this week: Adelle and Justin's warm, orange, vintage kitchen and a stunning California renovation.
• Baked tofu is one of the things on the menu for Chinese New Year, as well as those blood orange jelly smiles (pictured above).
• How to clean the toaster and peel celery root.
Have a wonderful weekend, and happy Lunar New Year!
(Image: Faith Durand)