Happy weekend, folks! I'm just back from an inspiring, invigorating week at this food writers' workshop, and I returned to a new chill in the air and a yearning for soups. I am considering a pot of Asian-inspired beef broth and noodles, or perhaps some old-fashioned chicken stew. And certainly a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread! What about you? Are you experiencing fall weather, or is it still hot where you are? Tell us what's inspiring you and your cooking this weekend, and take a look at a few posts from the past week that you may have missed. • Have you entered our September mystery box giveaway yet?
• Caramel apples and sandpaper — together at last.
• A tip for getting more out of a vanilla bean.
• On subbing olive oil for butter in breads and other baked goods.
• Is cork truly the best wine stopper?
• An old-fashioned treat: Boiled cider.
Happy weekend, and happy cooking!
(Image: Emma Christensen)