The long Memorial Day weekend is here at last, and summer can officially begin. What are you doing with your luxurious three-day weekend? I have a graduation party to attend (and cook for!) and Monday promises to be a lovely homebound day of gardening and writing. What about you? Do you have particular food traditions for Memorial Day? Tell us all about them, and take a look at a few posts you may have missed from the past week. • Inexpensive resources for outdoor entertaining
and some pricier yet gorgeous Insane unitasker gadget for making
that infamous one-ingredient ice cream
• It's wedding season: Practical advice for catering your own wedding, and a few tips to building a practical kitchen registry.
• Great picnic salads for Memorial Day (some sandwiches and sweets, too!).
• How to make boba (bubble tea) at home. Also in drink coverage: new twists on the mint julep, beers for wine-lovers and 4 new gins to try this summer. And for this weekend: California Cabernet Sauvignon to drink with your grilled meats.
• A small, light, portable gas grill for apartment-dwellers.
• 5 delicious yet elegant recipes for a Memorial Day cookout.
• A new food mag from McSweeney's? Sign us up!
• Did you hear that the USDA lowered the cooking temperature guidelines for pork?
• Great vegan recipes for grilling.
Happy weekend! We're taking Monday off, but we'll still have a few tidbits for you here on the blog. See you then!
(Image: Leela Cyd Ross)