We've been talking a lot about pies this week, and we baked one yesterday that reminded us why a good pie is a mouthstopper of a treat. We can't take much credit for it, though; it involved very few ingredients and was mostly about the fruit. Sweet, jammy blackberries, fall apples, and spicy sugared ginger, loaded into one of those vodka pie crusts
. (Have we mentioned how much we like pie for breakfast?)
We'll share the recipe with you on Saturday as a weekend treat, but until then, here are a few more ideas for good cooking and good eating from The Kitchn.
Good reading (and eating) from The Kitchn
• This week was all about an historic Election Day. Here are some of the things we ate.
• Check out the first entry in our Best Pie Bakeoff.
• Speaking of that Pie Bakeoff, are you going to enter?
• And if you're not entering, are your reasons somewhere in this list?
• Eat meat for less: try cooking with salt pork and other cheap cuts of meat.
• Best kitchen-themed calendars for 2009!
• Silly gadgets: built-in-thermometer frying pan and the Rotato.
• Spice up your cooking with all these great tips on boosting flavor.
• Want a celebratory drink this weekend? Try a cozy whisky or good Pinot Noir under $20.
Have a wonderful weekend!
(Image: Faith Durand)