I have the sniffles, and I am plying them liberally with zinc tablets, ginger tea, and cold medicine. When I have a cold, sometimes I just wish Mom was around to make me a bowl of chicken soup and a bit of lime Jell-O (so artificially green, but so nice on a sore throat!). And it made me wonder: What was your
mom's cure for the common cold? While you'd have to pry my Advil Cold & Sinus from my cold, shivering hands, I find that home remedies do bring nearly equal relief and comfort. Ginger and honey tea goes down in the gallons, this time of year. Chicken soup of course is always wonderful. Sometimes these old home cures, the ones from our mothers, fathers, and grandmothers, hold wisdom and insight into curing us, body and soul, of winter sickness.
So share that wisdom with us: What did your mother feed you when you had a cold? What was her kitchen cure?
More Cold Remedies
• Recipe: Bourbon Cough Syrup for Grownups - pictured above
• West African Ginger Drink
• Recipe: Flu Season Ginger Honey Lemon Tonic
• Cocktails and the Common Cold: Vodka, Honey, and Ginger
• Recipe: Chinese Chicken Soup - pictured above
• All Afternoon or Less Than an Hour: Chicken Soup with Herb Dumplings
• Recipe: Mexican Chicken Soup
• Soup Recipe: Chicken Bone Broth
• Cold Season Remedy: Homemade Cough Drops
• Home Remedy Tip: Soothe Sore Throats With Pineapples
Related: What Do You Eat To Recover From Food Poisoning?
(Images: Faith Durand; Kathryn Hill)