We're still pulling a few ripe red tomatoes off our cherry tomato bush, but there are plenty of green globes that probably won't ripen before the weather turns colder. The good news is that green tomatoes are still edible, delicious, and good for so many things!
We ran a contest this time last year that asked for your best green tomato recipes. Here are the results! These were our finalists and winner.
• Eggs Benedict with Green Tomatoes - The winner! This is a simple use for green tomatoes - tart and fresh under eggs.
• Curried Green Tomatoes - This easy, spicy soup would be great served over rice. We may use our small green tomatoes in a dish like this.
• Green Tomato Chutney - Spicy green tomatoes! A recipe from England via Russia.
• Green Tomatoes and Aceto Balsamico Jam - Here is another preserved green tomato recipe - sweet and savory jam. Sanja lives in Croatia; this turned out to be a very international contest.
• Roasted Poblano Pepper & Green Tomato Chili - Rachel's recipe looks both warm and refreshing.
• Green Tomato and Lentil Stew - This is an adaptation of a South Indian lentil dish.
Do you ever cook with green tomatoes? Do you have any favorite uses for them?
Related: What Can You Do With Green Tomatoes?
(Image: Faith Durand)