As the article puts it, "to make something that's already good just a little bit better, stop slathering something kinda gross on your food and replace it with something as personally appealing and delicious as you can possibly make it."
What do you think? Would you always choose homemade condiments over store-bought?
• Read more: What Should I Stop Buying and Make Instead? at The New York Times Magazine
Condiment Recipes & Ideas from The Kitchn:
• Recipe: Homemade Agave Nectar Ketchup
• How To Make Mayonnaise: The Video
• How To Make Mustard At Home
• 6 DIY Mustard Recipes
• Recipe Recommendation: DIY Hot Sauce from Mark Bittman
• Recipe: Cherry Chutney
(Image: Emma Christensen)