• Brief History of the Cassole, from Saveur
It is traditionally made from more than one type of meat—maybe bacon and duck confit, pork sausage and goose... But of course modern recipes call for chicken or even just vegetables. Some of our favorite recipes we've seen lately have a crunchy blanket of breadcrumbs on top.
• Pork, Pancetta, and Duck Cassoulet, from Saveur
• Chicken Cassoulet with Crisp Breadcrumb Topping, from Martha Stewart
• Cassoulet in 10 Easy Steps, from The Amateur Gourmet
• Vegetarian Cassoulet, from Gourmet (above)
Do you have a favorite cassoulet recipe?
(Image: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)