In this season of fall baking, we find ourselves frequently staring down a carton of buttermilk after using a mere 1/2 cup or 1 cup for a recipe. Oftentimes intentions are good: we'll whip up a buttermilk-based salad dressing or a stack of fluffy buttermilk pancakes. But it doesn't always happen, and there's nothing worse than wasting an entire carton of anything. So we went searching for a little inspiration.
Last year on The Kitchn we talked about freezing buttermilk if you know you're simply not going to get to it and there's a chance you may end up tossing it. You can always make a good salad dressing that will keep for sometime or a batch of biscuits for breakfast. But if you're looking for a few interesting recipes that use buttermilk in innovative ways, you've come to the right place. From milkshakes to tarts, here are a few we're excited about. Never will a carton of buttermilk be left virtually full again.
Try a New Recipe:
• Lillet Buttermilk Shakes - 101 Cookbooks
• Pioneer Woman's Buttermilk Fried Chicken - Steamy Kitchen
• Sweet Potato Buttermilk Pie - Smitten Kitchen
• Carrot Buttermilk Tart - Serious Eats
• Buttermilk Pudding with Spiced Mango Sauce - Vanilla Garlic
• Maple Buttermilk Pudding Cake - Food and Wine
Related: What Can I Do With a Carton of Buttermilk?
(Image: wEnDaLicious licensed for use under Creative Commons and Emma Christensen)