Sometimes we buy a baguette, brioche, or ciabatta loaf, and for one reason or another, it doesn't get finished. Rather than toss it in the compost bin, I give the stale bread new life!
Here are a few ideas of things you can do with stale bread:
• Fondue - stale bread is great for sopping up hot, gooey cheese, and the liquids in the fondue will soften the bread.
• French Onion Soup - a slice of stale bread is perfect for soaking up the beefy, oniony soup and holding up the cheese.
• Pappa al Pomodoro - a delicious Tuscan bread soup with mussels and tomatoes.
• Bread Pudding - behind that link is a nice roundup of various bread puddings, from sweet to savory.
• Panade - a rustic casserole made with stale bread and leftover vegetables.
• Ribollita - the quintessential Tuscan winter soup made from bread and hearty vegetables.
• French Toast - such an easy breakfast to make!
• Fattoush - a Middle Eastern salad made with stale pita bread and fresh vegetables.
• Panzanella - an Italian bread salad with mozzarella and fresh vegetables.
(Image: Kathryn Hill)