For dinner this past Christmas, I had pre-chopped all of the vegetables before finding out that several guests wouldn't be coming. I threw the extra veggies in the freezer, hoping that I would figure something out in the future.
So, it's the future. I have parsnips, white sweet potatoes, and par-boiled potatoes sitting in my freezer. Can I do anything with these?
Sent by AshleyEditor: Ashley, I'm thinking soups and casseroles! Both of these dishes would welcome some starchy roots and would be forgiving if the vegetables lost some freshness during their time in the freezer.
• How to Make Soup from Almost Any Vegetable
• Hot Dish! 12 Gratins, Bakes & Casseroles from The Kitchn
• Sweet Potato Soup with Miso and Ginger
• Baked Potato Soup with Bacon, Onion, and Cheddar
• Parsnip, Mushroom, and Leek Gratin
Readers, what ideas do you have for using up these frozen root vegetables?
Related: Which Vegetables Are OK to Buy Frozen?
(Image: Emma Christensen)