I married into an Italian-American family, where a loaded casserole dish of lasagna is practically indistinguishable from maternal love. In my in-laws' family, the first ripe tomato of the season is an occasion to celebrate with ceremony, and grandparents' sausage bread and homemade wine are spoken of reverently. I've seen firsthand that, when it comes to food, Italy is a generous nation. Italy gave us pizza and pasta, and we never looked back. Italian cooking prizes the fresh, the local, the readily available — it taught me the arts of cucina povera, making do with what you have.
In weeknight cooking, fresh, simple Italian food is perhaps one of the greatest gifts and the simplest cuisine to enjoy. Today, we present you with 20 of our own personal favorite recipes inspired by Italy. Pasta with squash, with fennel, with velvety red wine meatballs. A simple pizza. Calzones to make (and freeze) for later lunches, and Tuscan vegetable stew rich with tomatoes. If you're thinking ahead to weeknight meals for fall, start here. You'll have all the pasta you need, and more!
• 1 Classic Margherita Pizza
• 2 Veal Meatballs in Red Wine Sauce
• 3 Marcella Hazan's Famous Tomato Sauce
• 4 Sausage & Fennel Ragù
• 5 Easy Sausage And Peppers
• 6 Heirloom Tomato and Burrata Salad
• 7 Basic Tomato Sauce (with Optional Zing!)
• 8 Homemade Piadinas
• 9 How to Make Calzones (And Freeze Them for Later!)
• 10 Spaghetti alla Carbonara
• 11 Baked Mushroom Risotto with Caramelized Onions
• 12 Tuscan Bread & Tomato Soup (Ribollita)
• 13 Hearty Chicken Minestrone
• 14 Italian Wedding Soup
• 15 How to Make Fettuccine Alfredo
• 16 Lighter Stuffed Pasta Shells
• 17 One-Pot Pasta e Fagioli
• 18 Pasta with Butternut Squash, Sage, and Pine Nuts
• 19 Pork Ragu with Semolina Gnocchi
• 20 Vegetable Lasagna with Butternut Béchamel
What is your favorite weeknight Italian supper? Do share!
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)