Ways to Add More Flavor to Jarred Tomato Sauce:
1. Add meat and/or veggies: If you have just a little time, try sautéing some onions or crumbled sausage in a little bit of olive oil before adding the sauce. Some minced garlic will also add a good boost of flavor.
2. Add fresh or dried herbs: Jarred tomato sauce can be pretty bland, and a few teaspoons of oregano, thyme, or basil go a long way toward making this sauce taste good!
3. Add some zing: Try a few shots of Tabasco or a pinch of red pepper flakes!
4. Add salt: Most pre-made sauces will play it safe with the salt and end up tasting watered down or bitter. Try adding one teaspoon of salt at a time, tasting in between each addition, until the flavors start to come together.
5. Simmer: If you have the time, let the sauce simmer on the stove for 10 - 20 minutes to cook it down and concentrate the flavors.
6. Add some pasta water: A few scoops of the starchy water left from cooking the pasta will literally pull a soupy sauce together and give it a silky texture.
7. Add dairy: Just before serving, throw a half cup of cream, milk, or ricotta cheese into the sauce. This adds richness and flavor.
8. Add cheese: The ultimate cure-all! Some freshly-grated Parmesan on top of a bowl of pasta transforms it into a tasty and satisfying dish.
What other tricks do you have for doctoring up a jar of store-bought tomato sauce?