A San Francisco magazine has just put out their local version of the '100 things you should do (eat and drink-wise) before you die' list. Sigh. I guess I understand the appeal of these kinds of lists, but mostly they leave me blank. Much more fun to come up with my own list, one that's a little more in line with my life and times. Read on for a peek..
First, this isn't a lifetime list. This is only a 2009 list. I suppose a lifetime list has it's merits, but I don't know of too many people who have the time to sit down and come up with a list of 100 items, unless, of course, they're paid to do such things. Keeping it to just this year lends focus and brings in a little sense of urgency.
Second, this isn't a resolution-style list where I'm looking to improve or change or finally accomplish something very practical. This is the dream list, the adventure list. This is the list that says I've lived fully and tasted all the sweet (tangy), complex (simple), earthy (light), extravagant (ordinary), perfect (wonky), and wondrous things that life is offering.
Here's a few things from my list for 2009. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully not from my deathbed...but you never know.
- Make a cassoulet
- Have a picnic party on the beach a la Sara Kate
- Make A16's pizza margherita
- Get drunk on Absinthe, preferably while wearing a costume. (I've half-done this already when I got a little...glowy at a friend's birthday party after downing two glasses of St. George Absinthe and a handful of almonds. I was wearing a chiffon turban, at least when we started. Now that it's been a few weeks, I think I'm ready for the full-on experience.)
- Learn how to clean and cook fresh crabs which I think (hope!) involves lots of butter and newspapers and strange implements used for cracking and extracting.
- Throw a 'Vertical Ray of the Sun' party which would include having a bunch of people over to cook Vietnamese food, including the amazing lacquered whole chicken from the film, and then watch the film.
- Keep feeding my friends good food!
Share a few of your crazy culinary dreams with us. Is there anything you've always wanted to do, to taste, to cook?
(Image: Dana V)