We recently realized that we tend to only bake cakes when there's a special occasion to be celebrated. Right now we're going through a stretch with no cake-worthy events on the horizon, so we thought it would be fun to pull out our tins this weekend and bake ourselves a cake - for no particular reason at all!
We like the idea of just baking a cake for fun. There's no pressure to make it perfect, no special requests for flavors or icing, no restrictions at all! We're really looking forward to just opening up our cookbooks and making the first thing that appeals to us.
Here are few notes on technique:
• How to Frost a Layer Cake
• How to Make a Cake Stand
• Baking Lab: Why Did Our Cake Fall Flat?
• How to Line a Cake Pan
• How to Make a Cake Flour Substitute
• Freeze Pre-Baked Cake Rounds
And some recipes and other cake ideas to use as inspiration!
• Hot Pink Raspberry Cake
• Lemon Olive Oil Cake
• Sticky Spiked Double Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Brandy Sauce
• Ina Garten's Lemon Cake
• Flavor a Cake with Jam Syrup
• How to Make Cake Pops
• How to Make an Anatomically Correct Lego Cake
And who knows - maybe a special event will just find us! What kind of cake do you feel like making this weekend?
(Images: Faith Durand and Susie Nadler for the Kitchn)