Brrr! A smoothie might be a healthy way to start the day, but on a chilly winter morning, it can also set your teeth chattering. That's when we like to warm things up with a pinch of spice.
A bit of warming spice can balance out the ice-cold smoothie and boost the immune system — plus it tastes good, too! Among other benefits, spices like cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and turmeric have high levels of antioxidants.
To start, try a dash of ground cinnamon in a berry smoothie, add fresh or ground ginger to a green smoothie, or check out these recipes for inspiration:
• Bombay Banana Smoothie - Healthful Pursuit (pictured)
• Banana Spice Smoothie - EatingWell
• Cranberry Spice Green Smoothie - The Healthy Diaries
• Spiced Oatmeal Smoothie - Kitchen Konfidence
• Spiced Pear Smoothie - Whole Living
Related: 20 Smoothie Tips, Hints, and Recipes
(Image: Leanne Vogel/Healthful Pursuit)