Dicing onions: one of the most elemental tasks in the kitchen. Have you ever wondered whether you’re doing it right? Watch our super-short video tutorial on dicing onions; it will give you a couple of pro secrets for chopping onions quickly, safely, and neatly!
The method demonstrated here is very basic (spoiler: yes, you've probably been dicing an onion right all along!).
But it does make it a little easier to leave the end of the onion intact, especially if you want to do a horizontal cut and create a very precise size and shape.
Crying yet? Some tips to handle that problem.
- Best Way to Stop Onion Tears? Put Bread In Your Mouth
- Tip: Soak Onions in Water To Reduce Tears
- Five Tips on How to Cut Onions Without Tears
More Videos from The Kitchn
- Video: How To Peel Garlic with a Cocktail Shaker
- Video: How To Unroll a Clementine
- Video: A Surprising Tip for the Best Bacon (With Less Mess)
- Video: How To Cook a Perfect Pork Chop
- Video: How To Make Microwave Popcorn in a Plain Paper Bag
Video and post edited from original posted in April 2008.