As a vegetarian I'd long considered Moroccan tagines off-limits. These rich, aromatic stews are generally cooked with meat and besides, I don't even own a tagine pot. Happily, my perspective has changed with Ghillie Başan's beautiful new cookbook, Vegetarian Tagines & Couscous. Başan shows that seasonal vegetable tagines can be accessible, delicious, and easily made in a traditional vessel or any heavy-bottomed pot. Başan also shares recipes for couscous, appetizers and soups, salads, and preserved foods. Thanks to this book I'm pretty sure I'll be eating Moroccan on a weekly basis this fall and winter!
• Who wrote it: Ghillie Başan
• Who published it: Ryland Peters & Small
• Number of recipes: 65
• Recipes for right now: creamy pumpkin soup with ginger and chilli honey; tagine of spicy roasted pumpkin wedges with lime; sweet potato tagine with green olives and orange blossom water; tagine of roasted butternut squash with rosemary, almonds and apricots; lemon and orange couscous with walnuts and pomegranate seeds; pickled pears with saffron and cinnamon
• Other highlights: Though Vegetarian Tagines & Couscous focuses on the foods in its title, the book includes a nice assortment of other Moroccan dishes. There are recipes for essential spice mixes and condiments like harissa, chermoula, ras el hanout, smen (fermented butter), and mint tea; unique appetizers that would be great for entertaining; a handful of soups; vibrant salads; and preserved foods like jams and pickles.
The full-color book is also gorgeously designed, with saturated colors and photographs of the dishes as well as Moroccan markets, tiles, and servingware. It's like stepping into another world and you're sure to be inspired, whether it's to make a simple stew for a weeknight dinner or a complete Moroccan feast for entertaining.
• Who would enjoy this book? vegetarians, Moroccan food lovers
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Vegetarian Tagines & Couscous: 65 Delicious Recipes for Authentic Moroccan Food by Ghillie Başan
• Visit the author's website: Ghillie Başan
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Image credits: Emily Ho)