Cheese: On their own or paired with vegetables, cheeses that stand up well to heat include halloumi, paneer, and feta. Vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike might be fighting over these!
• Basil Halloumi Skewers, from Delicious Magazine
• Paneer Kebabs, from Olive Magazine
• Toasty Feta Kebabs, from Good Food Magazine
Seitan: We've never grilled seitan before, but these recipes sound mouthwatering, and much more satisfying than throwing a prepackaged veggie burger on the grill.
• Chimichurri Seitan Skewers, from Whole Foods Market
• Tamarind Seitan Kabobs, from VeganYumYum
Tempeh: Grilling enhances tempeh's unique nutty flavor. The key to preventing tempeh from being too dry or bland is to infuse it with a good marinade or sauce.
• Grilled Tempeh Kabobs, from Whole Foods Market
• Grilled Tempeh Satay, from Vegetarian Times
Tofu: Tofu is an old standby, but it doesn't have to be boring. Again, marinade is essential. Be sure to use extra firm tofu and to press out the excess liquid (directions here) before grilling.
• Savory Tofu-on-a-Stick, from YumSugar
• Thai Tofu on Lemongrass Skewers, from Coconut & Lime
Vegetables: Vegetables are a no-brainer, but how many times have you had skewers of crunchy, unappetizing zucchini chunks? Try these tips and recipes.
• How to Skewer Vegetable Kebabs, from About.com
• Great Grilled Vegetables, from Cook's Illustrated
• Vegetable Kebabs, from Gourmet
• Vegetables on Rosemary Skewers with White-Bean Hummus, from SELF
Share your own ideas and recipes with us in the comments!
(Image: Rachel Rappaport/Coconut & Lime, used by permission)