Simple, healthy, whole food is anything but humdrum in David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl's Vegetarian Everyday. The creators of Green Kitchen Stories blog are known for their vibrant approach and this cookbook is filled with creative flavor combinations, gorgeous styling, and colorful photography.
• Who wrote it: David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl
• Who published it: Rizzoli New York
• Number of recipes: 100
• Recipes for right now: Baked Herb & Pistachio Falafel; Quinoa & Cauliflower Cakes with Ramps; Fennel & Coconut Tart; Pizza with a Cauliflower Crust; Rhubarb, Apple & Yellow Split Pea Stew; Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake on a Sunflower Crust
• Other highlights: There could hardly be a more appropriate title for this cookbook. Ever since I got my hands on a copy of Vegetarian Everyday I've been perusing it daily, sighing with delight over the inspired recipes and stunning presentation. What's even better is these recipes aren't so complicated that they must be reserved for special occasions. Most of them are quite doable for a weekday breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and they're nutritious, so you feel even happier about making them for yourself and your family. In fact, one week I cooked nearly every one of our meals from the book!
Readers of Green Kitchen Stories may recognize a few of the dishes, which have been reworked for the book, but most of the recipes are brand new. More than 90 percent of the recipes are gluten-free and the rest use wholegrain flours. Small amounts of eggs, cheese, and yogurt are used throughout, but there are also many dairy-free as well as sugar-free recipes. Whether you're a longtime vegetarian, a newbie, or a veg-curious omnivore, the book is sure to introduce you to new and fresh ways of cooking.
• Who would enjoy this book? vegetarians and health-conscious meat eaters; people avoiding dairy, gluten, refined flour, and/or sugar; parents; fans of the Green Kitchen Stories blog
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Vegetarian Everyday: Healthy Recipes from Our Green Kitchen by David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl
• Visit the author's website: Green Kitchen Stories
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Ho)