Ice Cream Chef: Anali of Anali's First Amendment
What inspired this recipe? My boyfriend has to limit his dairy intake, but he loves ice cream. I've been experimenting with several different ingredients trying to get the creamy consistency of ice cream without the dairy. After many attempts, I hit the jackpot with a coconut milk and "soy shake" combination. I blogged about it on this post and made some more tweaks since then. (continued below...)
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!
(Inspiration, continued...) The type of coconut milk does make a difference. It should be unsweetened and creamy, not syrupy or chunky. My favorite brand so far is made in Thailand. I'm not sure if coconuts grown in different places have their own unique coconut milk consistency, but the brands do differ. I tried using vanilla rice milk and soy milk and the consistency wasn't right either. I've only seen the vanilla "soy shake" made by one brand, but there may be generic versions too.
Everyone whose tried this ice cream loves it and cannot believe that it doesn't contain cream. I almost can't believe myself and I made it! But it's vegan friendly and good for those who are lactose intolerant.
Tastetester Comments: My boyfriend said, "Damn, this is delicious!"
Vegan Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
(makes a little more than 1 quart)
3 (1/2 ) cups vanilla soy shake
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (about 2 cups)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Pour mixture into an electric ice cream maker for about 45 minutes or until a creamy consistency. However, you should follow the instructions for your ice cream maker. Scoop out ice cream and put in freezer safe container. Freeze overnight if possible or until solid. About six hours.
Contest InformationGo here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest.
The Entries So FarHere's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
• Mint Raspberry with a Chocolate Swirl
• Spice Cream with a Twist
• Peach Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Salted, Roasted Pistachios and a Balsamic Bay Leaf Reduction
• Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
• No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Merlot Poached Pears
• Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
• Grand Marnier Apricot Ice Cream With Almonds
• Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Chunk Ice Cream
• Blueberry Coffeecake Ice Cream "Cone"
• Coconut and Thai Basil Ice Cream
• Mango Chili Ice Cream
• Creamy Espresso Crunch
• Key Lime Dream Ice Cream
• Vegan Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream