In the summer we whine and whine about how hot the oven is. We look for ways to keep it off; we avoid broiled foods and look for fast stovetop stir-fry instead.
Well, the time to use your broiler has now arrived. It will warm up your whole apartment! It's literally freezing here, and turning on our hot, hot broiler sounds like a great way to warm up our kitchen and cook a tasty dinner. Here are two menus from the broiler...
Here's a lighter, vegetarian menu from the broiler; it doesn't have to be all steak and potatoes! The polenta sticks would be a good substitute for the cous cous; pile the roasted vegetables on the polenta sticks.
• Broiled Polenta Sticks
• Broiled Vegetables With Toasted Israeli Couscous
• Broiled Apples And Pears With Rosemary
• Broiled Duck Breasts With Orange Chipotle Sauce
• Broiled Apples With Maple Calvados Sauce
More on broiling
• How to broil the perfect steak in the oven
• Broiled Grapefruit
• Broiled Sardines with Gremolata
(Photo credits, from top left to bottom right: Andrea Fazzari, Romula Yanes, Mikkel Vang for Gourmet; Brian Leatart for Bon Appetit; Alan Richardson for Gourmet; Chris Phillips for The Kitchn.)