Uncle Sam owes you money? Congrats! People say it's actually better to owe money in April because otherwise it's like you gave the government an interest-free loan, but who cares what those people say! You're about to get some money. Money that you didn't technically have before! Put that money to use in the place that matters to you the most: the kitchen.
Here are some ideas on how to spend that refund check if you're getting a cool grand — or more! Wow, lucky you! — back.
- Lars Mid-Century Buffet, $999 at West Elm: If decent storage space has been at a minimum in your dining room, consider this buffet made out of solid mango wood. It's sturdy and boasts four drawers and a wide cabinet for all your odds and ends.
- Whitehaven Sink, from $999 at Kohler: You can finally get an apron-front sink! If your refund is for more than a grand, you can consider replacing the countertop while you're dropping in this enameled cast iron beauty.
- Whirlpool Slide-In Gas Range in Stainless Steel, $1,079 at The Home Depot: For a thousand bucks, you can get a beyond-decent range with lots of bells and whistles. This one from Whirlpool is no exception.
- Dylan 36"x80"Dining Table, $999 at CB2: Eight to 10 people can fit around this table, which means your dinner party goals can become a reality in 2018.
- Kiln Ceramic Stretch Hex Tile, $36 per square foot at ModWalls: These tiles aren't cheap, but a thousand dollars will cover 27 square-feet of backsplash, which should be enough for a medium-sized kitchen. We just love the color and shape of these tiles!
- Sharp 1.2-cu ft Microwave Drawer, $1,201 at Lowe's: Maybe you've been lusting after a microwave drawer ever since you saw this story on our site? If you've been having a hard time justifying the expense, just remember, this is basically bonus money!
- Rohl Deck Mount Bridge Kitchen Faucet in Polished Chrome, $1,084: One of the top names in kitchen faucets, this piece will dress up your kitchen the same way a diamond necklace finishes off a simple black dress.
- Boos Island Butcher Block, $1,695 at Williams-Sonoma: Vintage butcher block islands have so much charm and patina. Get a new (clean!) one and start leaving your own mark on it.
- Public Bar Stool, $295 at Industry West: These wooden stools — with a hint of yellow — will add a tiny colorful pop around your island.
- Fuller Pendant, $469 at Schoolhouse Electric: Hang two of these over your kitchen island and the space will have a new glam look.
How are you spending your tax refund?