We continue with our Un-Gift Guide - the guide to consuming less, not more, while still giving gifts that are meaningful and valuable. Here are a few ideas for gifts of service and love in the kitchen. These are grownup versions of those "coupons for chores" we all gave our parents in grade school, and each of these ideas are things that we would certainly like to find in our Christmas stocking!
- Clean Kitchen Give the gift of a kitchen deep-clean - surely we would all love to find this under the tree? Wrap up two sponges and a bottle of Mrs. Meyers' Lemon Verbena Cleaner and attach a coupon for one afternoon or weekend kitchen deep-clean. Cupboards, floors, mats, fridge, freezer - to have them all cleaned by someone else would be a treat.
- Three Square Meals Wrap up a pretty plate, bowl, and mug from Anthropologie or Crate & Barrel and include a coupon for one day of home-cooked meals. Breakfast, lunch, and supper - all cooked that day or ahead of time by you.
- Full Freezer Wrap a package of freezer containers and aluminum foil, with a coupon for several weeks of dinners all packed away in your lucky recipient's freezer. Bake several lasagnas and freeze those and a few pots of chili and pulled pork to be frozen and thawed for busy winter weeknight meals.
- Sweets and Treats Wrap up a box of hot cocoa and coffee and offer a month of sweet treats: each Saturday you will bake a treat to be picked just for your recipient. Bake a special cake, brownies, a batch of fudge to be delivered for a month of happy weekends.
- Cooking Lessons Know someone who is just starting out in the kitchen? Wrap up a Microplane, some wooden spoons, and an apron and include a coupon for one or more sessions in the kitchen learning the basics - baking bread, roasting a chicken, learning the difference between Romaine and iceberg.
We'll round up gifts of service and help to those outside your own circle of family and friends next week; giving to charities and good causes in your recipient's name is also an excellent Un-Gift.
Do you have other ideas for gifts of kitchen service?