Un-Gift Guide is all about gifts that are nourishing and simple, without too much consumer packaging. Some of the best are gifts you buy or use online - no paper to waste, no extra postage, and they're forever useful. Here are a few of our favorites. Best Last Minute Online Gifts for Cooks
- Cook's Illustrated online membership - As much as we love getting Cook's Illustrated in the mail, an online membership beats it hollow. A membership to their online content gets you all 15 years of their content and recipes, up-to-date equipment ratings, companion videos and more. $24.95/year.
- Slow Food membership - Slow Food promotes artisan foods all over the world. An individual membership includes a one-year subscription to the Snail, which covers fair food issues; a selection of publications from Slow Food International that feature in-depth stories of the movement from around the world; a monthly e-newsletter; a copy of the Slow Food Companion and discounts on merchandise. $60/year.
- Flickr Pro Account - Know someone who's a budding food photographer? Give them Flickr so they can share unlimited food photos with everyone. $25/year.
- CSA Share - Buy a share in a whole season of produce from a local farm, usually delivered weekly. This nourishes recipients AND supports local agriculture. Find a local CSA through Local Harvest. Prices vary.
- Adopt a Tree/Beehive/Lobster Trap - Many traditional food producers are offering opportunities, similar to a CSA, where you can buy a share in their yearly crop. You can adopt an olive tree in Italy and for $130 receive two shipments of oil from that tree's grove. You can adopt a honeybee hive and receive four pounds of honey for $69.95. Or, for you big spenders, buy a share in a lobster trap for $2,995 and have all its catch sent to you - at least 40 lobsters! They throw in mussels, clams, and gourmet dessert, too.
- Cooking Lessons - Culinary classes make a great gift for singles and couples alike. Check Sur La Table - they have a wide range of classes offered across the country.