It may be too late to make liqueurs, vinegars, and preserved lemons - all great food gifts that need a little time to mature. But there is still plenty of time to make special treats for friends and gifts for hosts and hostesses. You can even gather some friends and family and do these together.
Here are a few last minute food gifts that don't take long to make and will be ready (and appreciated!) immediately.
Click for granola, jam, spicy things, sweet things, and a few favorite cookies...
Each of these would be great as wrapped gifts or as a hostess present. Or, of course, for eating yourself...
- Homemade Granola - Delicious, healthy, and nourishing. Add pistachios, almonds, cranberries or dried peaches to make it really unique and special.
- Dulce de Leche - All you need is milk and sugar to make this gooey rich treat. It's great to spread on cakes or even toast! Give a jar to your hostes, with a ribbon around the top.
- Dido's Hot and Piquant Spread - Spicy!! Great with chicken and meat and can be given in a little jar.
- Dried Fruit Warmed with Red Wine and Spices - Deconstructed, this makes a wonderful gift! Give a bottle of red wine, a mix of dried fruit, and the mulling spices all together.
Cookies - Each of these cookies have a proven track record with mailing well!
- Ultra-Chewy Lemon Coconut Cookies
- Earl Grey Tea Cookies
- Lemon Melting Moments
- Brandied Prune and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
What food gifts did you end up making this year?