If you gravitate towards the clean, minimal, and well-designed kitchen tools at shops like Canoe and Mjolk, it probably won't surprise you to learn that many of those products are Japanese-made. So why not shop at a place devoted entirely to these gorgeous goods? Enter Umami Mart.
Umami Mart (based out of Oakland, California) imports all their kitchen and barware from Japan, with each piece carefully selected by the shop's owners, Yoko Kumano and Kayoko Akabori. "Function, design and quality of life" are the reigning philosophies in this gem of a store, and I found quite a few products I'd love to have in my own kitchen and home bar, like the deep basket strainer, the bitters bottle, and the matte black sugar pot (all shown above).
This store would be a terrific resource for gifts, too!
- 1 Sori Yanagi Kettle, $120
- 2 Hard Strong Fluted Rocks Glass, $20
- 3 Hasami Black Sugar Pot, $16
- 4 Kitchen Scrubber, $6.50
- 5 Hasami Black Mug with Oad Lid, $24
- 6 Bee House Salt Box, $21
- 7 Deep Basket Strainer with Wooden Handle, $20
- 8 Peacock Can Opener, $7
- 9 Bitters Bottle, $35
- 10 Mortar and Pestle, $20
Shop the Online Store → Umami Mart
(Images: Umami Mart)