Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Bern Switzerland
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- I’m happy with the glass doors of the cabinets, things are stowed away yet visible, so I don’t forget them. It’s also cool to just sit at the counter-height table and enjoy the view of the orderly surfaces. It’s a space of contrasts: big and small, black and white, something going on, but in a calming, unified way.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- I was so stressed out to spend all that money in a rental, with so many serious decisions to make. The result still has to please my landlord though, but it was definitely worth it. The before picture was taken when we had ripped out the lino floor tiles and moved in a workbench to test the new table height. The hole behind the table, in that monstrous cabinet wall, originally housed a fridge, in the hole under the stove had been the old oven. (It’s the place of the new one, too, with the fridge on top.) The 60’s lab style metal cabinets are already painted charcoal gray, remounted and refitted. And now look. There’s beauty and order!
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- As a single mother, I cook and bake a lot but keep it simple. Lately my son invented a kind of Marcella sauce summer version: Puré some fresh ripe tomatoes and an onion like for a smoothie, bring to the boil with butter and salt and sorts, pour over your pasta. We love it.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool Kitchens 2013