We've all faced ingredient conundrums and last-minute shortages in the kitchen. Oh no! Out of eggs! No crème fraîche! Need a buttermilk substitute! Thankfully, there are a few tried-and-true substitutions you can turn to in a pinch. These can also be helpful if you're trying to modify a recipe out of dietary necessity (shifting it to be dairy or gluten-free, for example). This guide will help get you started.
- The best gluten-free flour substitute.
- On substituting white whole wheat flour for white flour.
- Substitute a bit of corn starch and flour for cake flour.
- How to make a cake flour substitute.
- Substitute gluten-free teff for rye flour.
- Tips for substituting agave nectar for sugar in baking.
- Quick and easy sugar substitutes.
- On substituting regular sugar for superfine.
- How to make a substitute for cane syrup.
MILK + DAIRY:
- On substitutes for for buttermilk in baking. (And for more see here and here.)
- Vegan substitutions for 8 common baking ingredients.
- On substitutes for dairy and coconut milk.
- Substitute macadamia nut butter and cream for dairy in baking.
- Substitute toasted bread crumbs for parmesan.
- Substitute yogurt for sour cream.
- Substitute yogurt or sour cream for crème fraîche.
- Substitute fish sauce for anchovies.
- Substitute jicama for water chestnuts.
- Substitute avocado for mayonnaise.
- Substitute spaghetti squash for pasta.
- On substituting tubed tomato paste for canned.
- On substitutes for lemon and vinegar.
- On substitutes for bananas in smoothies.
- On substitutes for espresso powder.
- A soy-free substitute for soy sauce.
- What to substitute for nuts in pesto.
Do you have any go-to ingredient substitutes you rely on for convenience (when you're out of the called-for ingredient) or health issues (vegan, dairy- or- gluten-free)?
(Image: Faith Durand)