Traveling far from home and want something to bring back that has major impact? Consider a traditional tablecloth from the area you're visiting. They're often lightweight and can be folded compactly enough to fit into your luggage. (If not, they're easily shipped.) Open it up at home and instantly be transported back to your great escape.
Some gorgeous tablecloths from around the world, as pictured up top:
- Iran: Traditional tablecloths are printed by hand right before your eyes at bazaars.
- Japan: A vintage Japanese tablecloth hand-dyed in indigo.
- Mexico: Traditional handwoven table runners in bright colors.
- Africa (Zimbabwe): Hand painted and batik cotton tablecloths in traditional patterns.
- France: This tablecloth by Tissage de Luz is cheery in 100% French cotton.
(Images: 1. Flickr user Indigoprime licensed for use under Creative Commons; 2. eBay; 3. Zinnia Folk Arts; 4. Kosmopolitan; 5. Quel Objet)